Linux for PlayStation 2 Community - Forums

Summary |  Home Page |  Forums |  Lists |  Tasks |  Docs |  Surveys |  News |  Files | 

Discussion Forums: Networking

Admin

BY: adamwu
DATE: 2007-Jul-14 18:49
SUBJECT: PSTwo eth0 auto-negotiate 100M full duplex

After wondering around for about three days, I finally got my 70006 network auto-negotiate working!
There is nothing new I added to it, everything here is just fact finding, but I think it will be helpful for PSTwo owners to quickly get Linux running smoothly...

First of all, let's thanks ptsekov, falcon and all others pioneers on solving this problem!

--------
After the initial install, network does not work.
Sympton: can acquire IP via DHCP 7 out of 10 times; but nothing can be sent/received.
System Log:
PlayStation 2 SMAP(Ethernet) device driver is loaded.
eth0: Auto-negotiation timeout, not complete(BMSR=7849)
eth0: Auto-negotiation timeout, not complete(BMSR=7849)
eth0: Auto-negotiation error?? (PHYSTS=0)
eth0: try 100Mbps Half duplex mode...
eth0: 100Mbps Half duplex mode
eth0: link down

--------
Then, I found the beta smap driver here: http://playstation2-linux.com/projects/ps2linux/
However, it does not solve the problem.
Sympton: can always acquire IP via DHCP now; but still nothing can be sent/received.
System Log:
last message repeated 3 times
eth0: link down

--------
Then, google gave me this: http://skygate.bravehost.com/NetworkAdaptor.html
This fix corrects the right problem: hardware changes confused the driver, so this hack removes auto-negotiation, force 100M half duplex, and ignored link status checking.
The downside is the system cannot negotiate for link speed, however, it is already a decent solution.
System Log:

--------
Finally, I quickly went through the networking fourm (was in the kernel forum) to check for any better solution.
I was going to settle for 100M half duplex, but I came across this: http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/message.php?msg_id=48852
Upon reading the thread, I immediately knew it is the ONE! Although I am not sure if my console (which is very different from the 50000 serie) still uses the same chip, but at least it can point me a way to fix mine.

I disassembled my console and took a peek at the chip (for 70006 it is on the back of the MB, so I just need to take off the back heatspreader). Guess what, it is exactly the "STE100S SB"! Well, after applying the patch, now eth0 finally can auto-negotiate the link speed!
System Log:
eth0: Auto-negotiation complete. 100Mbps Full duplex mode.

Thread View

Thread Author Date
PSTwo eth0 auto-negotiate 100M full duplexadamwu2007-Jul-14 18:49
      Updateadamwu2007-Jul-14 21:49
            RE: Updatesarahe2007-Jul-27 03:54
      RE: PSTwo eth0 auto-negotiate 100M full duplexdavideciarm2009-Jan-31 02:39

Post a followup to this message

You could post if you were [logged in]